zondag 13 april 2008

San Francisco news


I promised news written in English... :-) For the others: scroll down, there are some impressions I had not yet told you.


I have been a week in SF now and I must say on some points I am surprised and other things are to be confirmed. How can I possibly know that? Well, not staying in a hostel in downtown SF really gives you another view and it has been a priviledge to stay with my friends.


The first day was a day on air full with ridiculous and unlogical customs ' rules and I crossed the ocean in 24 hours but only 12 hours passed when I arrived. That was something interesting. Up to today I attented a baseball game, which I left after one hour because the audiene was sooooooooo calm and boring, I tried to see the Olympic Torch but the San Franciscan police fooled us and all I ever saw were the protesters which was fun as well, because I actually saw two naked men (...) and I went all the way to Muir Woods, a reserved redwood that is celebrating there 100 years as a national monument.
And off course I saw the Transamerica building, the cable car, the crookest street, Chinatown, Pier 39 and its seelions, Alcatraz island, the Mexican quarter, Twin Peaks, the Golden Gate Bridge and Park, ...


But I also have some impressions:


+ On Pier 39 we saw a man with a group of children saying: "You should eat your mini-donuts first in order to get some candy of this bag." It was 10.30 am. And secondly, what is the difference between a donut and candy?
+ the streets seem very quiet and the life seems not stressful and hasty
+ when they build houses they put wood in between walls as a earthquake prevention
+ the streets, even the fancy ones like the Financial District (Embarcadero), are filled with homeless people
+ they sell Belgian beer and Brussels sprouts in Whole Foods Supermarket
+ I did not see smoking in the streets: they can't
+ they even have dog 'bagels'
+ pedestrians are given the way TOTALLY ( A woman pulled back and apoligised to me and let me cross, I however was dreaming and was just waiting for her to pass)
+ I met a man who took a world tour: 4 countries in 5 weeks....
+ 4 dollar per apple! No wonder they eat crappy things.
+ you have to make a play date in order to play with your friends
+ surprisingly little publicity in the streets
+ a lot of educational publicity (about AIDS, environment)
+ I heard a radio publicity on the promotian of special bulbs (spaarlampen in Dutch) and she addressed to the Californian public.
+ the police have a friendly face and expression so you can easily ask them questions (nothing like the UK or some Belgian ones)
+ Whenever a child is nagging parents might say: "Your voice is hurting my ears, please stop it".
+ a child of 5 possesses already an I-pod, tv, games, ....
+ They do have organic food stores or sections in the supermarket. There are two but's: it is rather expensive which results in only upper middle class people able to buying it (and so it becomes a symbol of status). And at the same time they don't recycle garbage...
+ they have a nice sense of humor, well some of them (so that is probably a universal thing)


Today, on my last day, we plan a trip to Berkeley and maybe Oakland. So I'll get back to you!


P.S.: I put pictures on my facebook

1 opmerking:

Christophe Ramont zei

Seen the pics on facebook and already jealous!

4 countries in 5 weeks: glad he knew he went to 4 countries...