maandag 7 juli 2008

National strike

I had been warned about the national strike on the 8th and 9th of July, so on my arrival in Huaraz I immediately booked the first bus to Lima, which is on Thursday. Since I would have been stuck in Lima for the night and with a bad memory in mind I thought things over and decided to book another bustrip. From Lima to Arequipa. Closer already to Cusco and far away from the capital :-D.
What I did not figure out by myself (yeah, you may think whatever you want now) was that agencies would not leave Huaraz as well. So the main touristic cultural site Chavín de Huantar is going to be a 'not done'. There is still hope, because the lady of Chavín Tours told me to come back the next morning (which is today) in order to see how heavy the strike turns out to be. And I can also pay a guide to come with me to Lake Churup.
The strike. It is a national event of two days, but Huaraz throws in an extra day. Hear hear. Today it is a regional strike day. A lot of village mountain people in colourful clothing marching in the streets. I talked to a lady and she told me they are fighting for good roads, electricity and drinkable water. Where did I heard that before? For example, the hospital in Huaraz, which is a central regional hospital, has onlu electricity in the ER, the mountain villages do not have any schools...
The latter is absolutely true, because on my walk up this morning (I had to do something, so I just asked around and went up to Pasaje Nueva Alianza to experience a magnificient view on the Cordillera), I haven't seen schools.

Today my first snicker in three months...

Geen opmerkingen: