zondag 9 september 2012

To wonder...


...is to think or speculate curiously. And that is exactly what one does when abroad or when put in situations alien to one’s known mindset. Though I had some experience in encountering with different cultures, people and societies there is always that tiny difference that puts things in motion in my mind.

For instance: in one of my previous posts I talked about being squeezed into the local transport (daladala). Remember? Well, there was this one day. Like any other day I was squeezed and still needed to move a little to make room for other commuters. One guy signs me to come and stand in front of him. Not facing him of course. Oh no! But then – and here we have the true wonder of the brain cells – I started thinking. Bear with me. If this is a healthy man… Are you still with me? Hmmm. I move a little and forget about it. Untill the moment my friend pulls out a story of one of her colleagues. That co-worker of hers embarrassed a guy on the daladala. Because the thing creating inconvenience at skirt height was not the guy’s cell phone. Haha! My friend continues and asks me if I had not been asked to take the baby of a woman trying to get on. She urged me not to because those toddlers can start peeing on me which would totally mess up my (office) wear. My friend continues and asks me if I had never felt a but in my face while being the one on the seat. Before I could answer she added: “look the other direction, people fart”. Yesterday I was reminded of her advice…

Did you know:

- Cars are not bought at a local car dealer, but they order their car directly from the Japanese companies and arrange for an agent to take care of all the port and registration documents. (Why? Car dealers’ choice is not myriad and car parts are taken out.)

- They actually respect traffic lights.

- You see a lot of women behind the wheel.

- Traffic on the main road going into town sometimes moves in one direction, sometimes in two…

- They burn litter every night.

- Their finger tops are used to hot food.

- In most restaurants you will not find pork. (To avoid discrimination towards the Muslim population of Dar es Salaam.)

- When somebody is selling water he makes a kiss sound to get your attention.

- When you go to a pedicure, you best bring your own materials. (They are afraid of infections.)

- Slippers are worn both by men and women (without white socks. Hehe).

- Most siblings differ in age lot.

- Indians run a lot of businesses, but also Koreans and Chinese find their way to this country.

- Some women can grow a beard. (kweli!)

- The first president died a poor man.

- The Indian Ocean’s – blue – water is always lukewarm.

Geen opmerkingen: