dinsdag 28 augustus 2012

First weeks language training


Okay, so how much progress did I make with the Swahili lessons, the main reason I reside in Tanzania? Well, I must admit it was quite a lot to take in. About 4 hours a day, 5 times a week during 3 weeks, but we learnt a zillion things. The first two weeks Danlee and I were accompagnied by Benjamin, the final week Paul was our teacher. The subtle differences in teaching were an absolute asset to our weeks. Meanwhile I have started the intermediate level. 4 hours, 5 days, 2 weeks. Actually I don’t know what I was thinking when I decided this. Haha. But I am in for it.

Three weeks give me an understanding of the basic grammar constructions and I can make easy sentences. When they talk back, I am usually in trouble. Hehe, but if you scan the context with the few words you know and watch the body language you can guess what they are trying to say. This in itself is a very good learning process. It gives you an insight in different forms of communication and how valuable they are. Though I am looking forward to the day I can have a proper conversation. Language is the key to the heart.

Every Friday we had outdoors lessons. We visited Kariakoo, the biggest veggie and fruit market, the Fish Market and the Art craft Market. All of them are quite impressive. Of these three I liked the fish market the most: lots of styles, colours, sizes of fish. People running around bare foot, hands filled with the rests of fish after having cleaned them and that sea smell everywhere. Some stands were in the building, others were improvised. Some sell fish with a more or less fixed price, others sell it by auction. And a view on the boats drifting in the Indian Ocean. Awesome experience.

1 opmerking:

Ward en Emilie zei

Amaai, klinkt cool... hier zicht op de tuin en opgezwollen voeten:-)